GJCA taking applications for Heifer Allotment Youth Program
The Georgia Junior Cattlemen’s Association is accepting applications until Dec. 1 for its Heifer Allotment Youth (HAY) program, which provides youth involved in the cattle industry an opportunity to exhibit and/or develop a high-quality female bovine while learning skills associated with a livestock project.
To apply, interested youth are required to complete a 2-3 minute video on the following topics:
• Division I (Ages 9-13) What is your plan for this heifer, should you be awarded?
• Division II (Ages 14-17) How can you make a difference in the cattle industry?
• Division III (Ages 18-21) Should you be awarded, what are you selecting for in a heifer?
Applicants should consult with their 4-H agent, FFA advisor, or parents with questions about these topics. Age divisions are determined based on applicant’s age when applying.
Each applicant must be a current Georgia Junior Cattlemen’s Association member. The deadline to submit the application is Dec. 1. Applications may be emailed to Charlsy Godowns at email@example.com (use the subject “HAY program”). Applications may also be mailed to Georgia Junior Cattlemen’s Association, ATTN: Director of Association Services, P.O. BOX 27990, Macon, GA 31221.
To download the application visit www.gfb.ag/19HeiferYouthAllotmentapp.
Other program details:
• The heifer must be purchased from a Georgia farm.
• The seller must be a member of Georgia Cattlemen’s Association (GCA).
• Recipient must consult GCA staff before a seller is chosen.
• Students will have one year to purchase heifer.
• Funds will be distributed directly to farm/seller.
• The heifer may be used as show and/or production animal.
• Students may only be awarded once in each age division and must be a current GJCA member.
• Recipients are responsible to contact GCA to provide sale information to allow monies to be dispersed.
• Care for the animal is the responsibility of the recipient after purchase.
• Heifer recipient should commit to keeping the heifer for a minimum of one year.
• Recipients will be selected and informed by Feb. 15, 2020.
• Recipients will be recognized at the GCA Annual Convention in April.