Agriculture + Lifestyle
5-Bean Veggie Soup
Soon there will be a cool breeze blowing and sweater weather will be just on the horizon. That means, it's time to cozy up to a warm bowl of soup. Whether loaded with locally sourced veggies or hearty with helpings of sausage, get inspired by what's available at Georgia's Certified Farm Markets. Check out gfb.ag/CFM to locate these items and more.
Carrots, Rosemary, Thyme, Turmeric
Country Gardens Farm
Fritchey's Gardens & Farm Fresh Market
Rocky Ford, GA
Vegetable Broth & Heritage Sausage
Spinach & Kale
Nu Sunrise Farm
5-Bean Veggie Soup
2 1/2 cups of dried beans (we used 1/2 cup each of garbanzo, kidney, navy, pinto and black beans)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced (Calhoun Produce)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, diced (Country Gardens Farm)
2 stalks celery, diced (Fritchey's Farm Fresh Market)
2 small zucchini, diced (Jacobs Produce)
7 cups vegetable broth (Jensen Reserve's Veggie Bouillon)
12 ounces crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (fresh from Osage Farms or canned from Hillside Orchard Farms)
2 1/2 cups chopped greens (we used spinach and kale from Nu Sunrise Farm)
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of rosemary (Country Gardens Farm)
2 tbsp thyme (Country Gardens Farm)
3.4 tsp turmeric, optional (Country Gardens Farm)
3/4 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
Optional: 1/2-pound Heritage Sausage (Jensen Reserve)
- Rinse 2 1/2 cups mixed beans well. In a large pot, cover beans with water (3 inches above beans) and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let soak for 1-1.5 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil to medium-high. Saute diced onion and garlic 5-6 minutes, or until translucent and slightly softened, stirring frequently.
- If adding sausage, saute over medium heat in a separate pan. When finished cooking, remove from heat.
- Add diced carrots, celery and zucchini to onion and garlic mixture. Saute additional 6-7 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add soaked beans, broth, tomatoes, all spices and sausage (if using). Simmer for about 45 minutes, or until all ingredients are fork tender. Stir in chopped greens about 5 minutes before soup is ready. (Be sure to remove bay leaves before serving.)
Posted: 11/20/2020 in Certified Farm Markets, Food
No comments have been posted.
HTML not allowed, max characters 255, * denotes required field.